The world’s rainforests — the lungs of our planet — have been set on fire … again. That means it’s time to take action!
Last year, before any of us knew that the world would be gripped by a pandemic, our planet was on fire. Against the backdrop of the record-breaking heat, drought, and destruction brought on by the climate crisis, rainforests in the Amazon and Indonesia were set ablaze for greed and profit.
But something amazing happened: YOU happened. You answered the call from the forests, and you made a difference.
Well now, exactly a year later, the Amazon Rainforest is on fire AGAIN. The Indonesian Rainforest is on fire AGAIN. And we need YOU to act AGAIN. With millions of lives — and livelihoods — at grave risk, this is just the beginning of what could be an even more devastating “fire season.”
So begins our Fires Week of Action…
We’ve teamed up with allies around the world to hit hard the brands and banks responsible for driving tropical deforestation and to support the communities directly impacted by this devastating destruction.
Here are four ways you can help us stop the fires and put an end to the big business of burning, this week and beyond:
1) Join the online rally happening tonight DONE!
Thanks to all who joined the rally, we’ll provide a recording of the event as it becomes available!
(Monday, August 31st at 8PM ET | 5PM PT | 7AM WIB, Sept 1), featuring speakers from the Amazon and Indonesia. Hear from the frontlines and take action in solidarity with the movement to protect Forest Defenders everywhere! Click here to RSVP!
2) Please donate to support forests and forest defenders
Support the groups standing strong on the frontlines, fighting to keep their lands, and defending the forests we all depend on:
- Donate to Amazon Watch and Amazon Frontlines: Both organizations have long histories of working to protect the Amazon rainforest and advance the rights of Indigenous Peoples in the Amazon Basin.
- Donate to Wahana Lingkungan Hidup Indonesia (WALHI) — WALHI is one of the largest environmental organizations fighting for ecological justice with grassroots communities across Indonesia. They have led some of the most powerful fights against forest fires!
- Donate to RAN’s Protect-an-Acre program (PAA): We have distributed more than one million dollars in grants to more than 150 frontline communities, Indigenous-led organizations, and allies, helping their efforts to secure protection for millions of acres of traditional territory in forests around the world.
3) Take Action, sign a petition!
Over the last year, your support helped move some of the biggest corporations to step up their game to protect forests and uphold rights but there’s still more work to be done. Help us and our partners crank up the pressure on the brands and banks still driving rainforest destruction. Sign the petition calling on brands and banks to stop the fires and end the big business of burning!
4) And don’t forget to spread the word!
You can share this blog or anything else that we post this week on Twitter and Facebook (follow #stopthefires) or forward our emails to family and friends. It is time to end the big business of burning and put a stop to the fires consuming our world’s rainforests. We can’t do it without you!