For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working person to support the Forest Program. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, analytical, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality will be crucial for success in this position
The Forest Program Finance Coordinator will be an essential member of the Administrative Team in providing general finance, accounting and HR support as well as variety of administrative and operational activities and related tasks for the Forest Program.
This position will be responsible for the full range of activities related to budgeting and forecasting, accounting, financial analysis, pre and post award grant administration. Additionally, this position will also serve as a key liaison with program staff for financial and budget tracking.
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
• Assist in the management of monthly expense reports and Amex charges.
• Assist the Accounting Department in the close process in terms of how it pertains to the Forest Program.
• Assist in processing invoices, check requests and reimbursements ensuring there is appropriate backup documentation.
• Insure allocation %’s of program staff are accurate and up to date.
• Assist in managing restricted funds as it pertains to the Forest Program.
• Insure vendor and contractor information is accurate in Financial Edge.
• Assist in the RAN’s External Audit process as it pertains to the Forest Program as well as participate in Grant/Foundation audits.
• Create formal policies and procedures related to financial & accounting operations.
Budgeting and Financial Reporting & Analysis
• Prepare periodic program and grant related budget and actual reports.
• Track and explain variances related to program & grant expenses vs. Budget/Forecast.
• Track and explain variances related to program & grant revenue vs. Budget/Forecast.
• Create, manage and generate periodic departmental and project accounting reports within Financial Edge.
• Be the go to person in regards to working in and creating models in Excel
• Manage all Independent Contractor agreements and its related record keeping.
• Assist in the project management foundation proposal timelines and deadlines.
• Insure all Program events have proper and timely insurance documentation.
• Create formal policies and procedures related to administrative operations.
• Assist in the management and tracking of the program staff annual performance reviews.
• Assist in the hiring process as needed and in onboarding new team members.
• Act as the liason with the HR department in explaining and clarifying RAN’s fringe benefits.
• Basic understanding of accounting, financial analysis and human resource administration.
• Good budgeting and forecasting knowledge
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
• Strong organizational, time management and project management skills
• Highly organized, proactive, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
• Ability to manage up and manage across; supervision experience and ability to work with staff at all levels;
• Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Google, PowerPoint, internet skills) with a strong emphasis in Excel modeling and financial systems.
• 1 to 2 years experience in a financial/administrative or program support position
• Experience working in non-profits is preferred;
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The salary for this position is competitive for the small non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, employees are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
Status: full-time, salaried, and fully benefited
Location: San Francisco
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
Available immediately, RAN has an opening for a contract position on our Digital Engagement Team for an Digital Campaign Strategist for the Forest campaign. This full time (40 hour/week) position is open immediately, and is currently offered through June 30 at a rate of $25/hr. The Digital Campaign Strategist will work closely with RAN’s Forest Campaign to provide the technical backbone necessary for effective online campaigning. The successful candidate will be meticulous in construction of online resources and have thoughtful ideas on how to create actions and user experiences which support the campaigns and are engaging to the supporters who will participate in them. They will be experienced and strategic in leveraging both in-house resources such as our email list and digital platform Nation Builder as well as social media to leverage supporter muscle and provide concrete results for the campaign. The Digital Campaign Strategist will be responsible for evaluating data, testing, and reporting back on insights and knowledge gained from each online action completed. In addition to the utilization of online assets in strong and effective campaigning, the Digital Campaign Strategist will be responsible for assisting with growth of RAN presence across social media channels, including but not limited to Twitter and Facebook.
Location: Flexible, San Francisco or Los Angeles preferred. A successful applicant outside of San Francisco must be comfortable and effective working in a distributed team from a home office.
Working with campaigners, the Digital Campaign Strategist will plan and execute all aspects of robust campaigns in the digital space to move corporate targets.
With assistance from the communications team, the Digital Campaign Strategist will write email blasts, social media content, and other written materials for online production.
Build, test, and deploy online action pages.
Create blogs or other news releases.
Create and test emails and other online communications.
Use online tools such as Share Progress, Brigade, Causes, and MoveOn Petitions to increase reach and growth for RAN’s campaigns.
Create forms and surveys using Nation Builder.
Use Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other data reporting tools to track all communications and their impacts.
Provide analysis of online performance and recommendations for changes when needed.
Manage followers on social media and implement strategies to grow reach.
Create content highlighting regions impacted by deforestation.
6 months - 1 year of experience using online advocacy tools such as Nation Builder, Blue State Digital, Action Kit, Salsa, Convio, etc.
6 months - 1 year of experience writing advocacy content for online use.
Preferred: experience as an organizer or campaigner with an advocacy non-profit
Basic understanding of HTML
Experience using social media for campaigning such as Twitter and Facebook
Experience using basic reporting tools to analyze and track data
Ability to work independently from a remote location, to follow instructions, and complete tasks across time zones with a minimal amount of supervision if necessary
Preferred: Experience using A/B testing in an advocacy or marketing capacity
Strong commitment to and belief in the power of using online resources to help empower communities and activists to right wrongs and make change in the world.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, writing sample, and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org