Digital Engagement Director
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
The ideal candidate is a strong leader with a visionary approach to engagement strategies in advocacy campaigning and possess the management skills necessary to implement those strategies. They see technology as a creative tool for social change and are passionate about and experienced in working at the intersection of digital, advocacy, and membership-based organizing. This a highly collaborative position, working closely with program, communication and development departments. The ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams and can gracefully manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment.
The Digital Engagement Director will serve on the Leadership Team of the organization and be managed by the Deputy Executive Director. This leadership position supports the organization across all departments advancing active campaigns and driving organizational growth and awareness.
The Director will be responsible for the following:
- Management of Staff, Vendors and Budget: Effectively manage a 7-person digital team, any outsourced technology contractors and the department budget.
- Organizational Leadership: Serve on RAN’s Leadership Team—representing the digital team’s vision and collaborate on setting organizational priorities.
- Program Vision: Drive the evolution of the digital engagement program at RAN and provide clear decision-making processes and a thoughtful focus on resources.
- Focus on Analytics/Data: Lead the department and organization in implementing a data-driven culture. Analyze performance metrics for digital channels and strategies ensuring data-driven decisions.
- Membership List Growth: Implement plans to continually grow and keep active an expansive and multi-faceted membership list
- Drive Online Fundraising: Ensure a positive return on investment from a diversified and robust online fundraising program.
- Strategic Expertise: Be capable of gauging organizational needs based on political, economic and movement-based trends and opportunities resulting in thoughtful and productive workplans
- Change Making: Possess a strong grasp of social movement theory
- Innovation: Identify and pursue new and innovative digital tools and strategies, while maintaining a balanced sustainable workload for the digital team.
- Implementation of Tactics: Manage the timely execution of viable and appropriate digital tactics that engage RAN’s network in achieving our collective goals.
- Management of Digital Assets: Oversee all components of the organization’s digital presence, including website, blog, social media accounts, online advocacy tools, CRM, and email program.
- Inter-Departmental Education: Provide opportunities for professional development for all RAN staff in the areas of technological advancement and digital engagement.
The most compelling candidate will have strong organizational and team management skill, a deep knowledge of innovations in digital and offline supporter engagement and a solid background in digital leadership. Knowledge of environmental justice and corporate accountability initiatives are useful.
Experience and skills required:
- Ability to work fast and smart, with exceptional time management and prioritization skills.
- The ability to lead organization-wide initiatives
- The ability to share knowledge, successfully communicate ideas and collaborate with diverse teams.
- Track record in clear decision-making and an ability to manage both the big picture and the details required in a data-driven department.
- Proven experience developing campaigns that integrate online and offline strategies
- An energetic, entrepreneurial nature that combines curiosity and creativity with a learning attitude, analytical skills and technological savvy
- Proven experience creating and managing successful websites, digital campaign tools and outreach initiatives.
- Possession of the technical skills required to manage technical staff and contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to support staff in curating creative, effective multimedia content for web, mobile and social media platforms
- Experience with story-based strategies.
- Experience with Google analytics
- Strong background managing an online ads program that is goal and metrics driven.
- An understanding and commitment to nonviolent direct action strategies
- Experience managing both creative and technical side digital staff
- Experience in grassroots organizing
- Experience working in environmental justice based movements
- Experience managing and growing a sizeable email list.
- Knowledge on digital data management.
- 5-10 years managing digital teams or projects.
RAN is committed to advancing equity and justice, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into our work. We are in the process of building out our racial justice lens and are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
The salary for this position is competitive for the non-profit San Francisco Bay Area market. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org We will be conducting interviews on a rolling basis so you are encouraged to apply as soon as you are able.