(4 Month Contract, 32 hours/week, October 2017 – February 2018)
Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. Over the last decade, RAN’s Energy and Finance Program has succeeded in pushing leading banks like Bank of America, Wells Fargo, Citi and Royal Bank of Canada to pass policies that curb investments in companies that contribute to deforestation and climate change.
RAN is currently looking for a temporary, 32 hours a week, Accountant or Senior Accountant during the months of October 2017 through February 2018. The person will be involved in many of the accounting day to day activities listed in the duties below, but will primarily be involved in the following key areas: closing the month’s end, payroll, revenue, and balancing out the restricted funds.
- Maintain General Ledger, close transactions at the end of the month including prepaid, posting journal entries and accruals, preparing allocation entries;
- Manage Fixed Assets (input monthly information into the fixed asset spreadsheet to record asset additions, journalize depreciation, reconcile fixed assets), prepaid expenses and prepaid insurance; prepaid postage; square footage calculations, deferred rent.
- Reconcile prepaid expenses, prepaid insurance, Cash Account, Bank Reconciliation;
- Maintain Petty Cash;
- Supervise and manage all aspects of Accounts Payable process and vendors’ relations (process vendor invoices; code payments to appropriate GL accounts for accurate coding; process timely checks run on weekly basis to ensure that payment deadlines are met; process travel and expense reimbursement requests for staff, volunteers, interns; maintain A/P aging that agrees to the GL at the end of each month, close Accounts Payable on monthly basic, manage and process the year-end 1099’s)
- Manage all aspects of Bank deposits process (use Panini machine for all check deposits , data entry of each receipts, coordination with development department for monthly reconciliation of all receipts) • Manage payroll and be responsible for keeping it up-to-date; produce semi-monthly and manual payrolls, maintain the payroll database accurately and up-to-date, be responsible for posting payroll related entries in GL. Reconcile payroll and benefits related accounts each payroll period for RAN and for Grants;
- Prepare Restricted Spreadsheet, allocations for all restricted projects
- Prepare all allocations
- Manage AMEX (prepaid spreadsheet, be responsible for pasting AMEX), keep track of credit card purchases and make monthly payments
- Accounts Receivable
Please note that A/P clerk will be in the office once a week. She will cut all checks and manage Bank deposits using Panini machine. HP specialist will submit payroll. If A/P clerk and HP specialist are out Staff accountant should cut checks, process all deposits and submit payroll.
- Nonprofit accounting experiences highly preferred
- Knowledge of spreadsheets, word processing, internet and email programs
- Knowledge of the Financial Edge extremely helpful
- Ability to work quickly and independently;
- Strong organizing skills and able to multi-task;
- Computer literature, specifically with accounting and spreadsheet application;
- Strong commitment to social change desirable
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
Status: Temporary, no benefits
Location: San Francisco
Apply here for Temp Staff Accountant or Senior Staff Accountant