Senior Organizer - Forest Program
Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
About the position:
Since 2007 RAN has led strategic campaigns to scandalize Conflict Palm Oil by building a solid base of activists committed to standing with RAN and our allies as we pressure the biggest palm oil traders and over 20 of the world's biggest snack food companies to cut ties with this controversial commodity.
Our campaign remains critical as the destruction of rainforests and peatlands continues unabated, and the exploitation of local workers occurs each and every day. There are thousands of unresolved conflicts between communities and the companies that forced them from their lands and every year that Indonesia's forest burns we are a step further away from tackling climate change.
Right now we’re three years into a campaign targeting Snack Food 20 laggard PepsiCo. Although over half of the Snack Food 20 companies have now responded to our campaign by adopting responsible palm oil procurement policies, there are still a few laggard companies dragging their heels. We are seeking an experienced, energized and well-connected organizer who can take our movement to the next level.
The Senior Organizer will lead our remote and grassroots organizing program and direct the palm oil campaign organizing strategy for at least the next three years. In the next year, this will involve on-the-ground outreach, actions and base-building in priority regions for our campaign on Pepsi, starting with Purchase (the location of PepsiCo's HQ), NY and the SF Bay Area.
Work with the Rainforest Agribusiness Campaign Director, Responsible Food Campaigner, National Outreach Coordinator and both the communications and digital teams to direct the strategy and vision for the Palm Oil Action Team. This position will be responsible for the following:
- Project Management: Direct the overall strategy and vision for all organizing efforts and Palm Oil Action Team activities including management of the budget, staff and project plans, and facilitate strategic planning processes to sync organizing and campaign objectives.
- Manage Distributed Organizing Pushes: Plan and oversee the design and execution of creative online and offline, hard-hitting distributed national organizing tactics every 3-4 months.
- Leadership Development: Maintain relationships with existing Palm Oil Action Team leaders as well as manage and mentor National Outreach Coordinator in identifying and engaging new activists in the field and through digital engagement.
- Build Networks: Travel as needed to identify and train activists as well as support public events.
- On-the-Ground Activity Coordination: Support the National Outreach Coordinator to recruit and train a committed group of activists in the two priority locations for the campaign on PepsiCo - SF Bay Area and Purchase, NY - to execute regular activities.
- Outreach and Base-Building: Tap into existing networks of activists in the Purchase region and the SF Bay Area including SUNY Purchase, UC Berkeley, and key regional conferences like Powershift and Real Food Challenge.
- Creative Asset Production: Coordinate the creation and distribution of organizing resources for community and student activists.
- A minimum of 5 years organizing experience
- Demonstrated experience in distributed organizing and field organizing
- Experience with NVDA, ideally including on the ground activity coordination
- A proven track record of successfully managing staff in an empowering way
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience designing creative distributed organizing tactics and on the ground activities
- Demonstrated expertise in digital organizing and campaigning including using a variety of online tools and strategies to achieve campaign objectives
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and networking skills
- Demonstrated expertise in grassroots organizing skills including recruitment, relationship building, organizing-skills training & facilitation
- Excellent data tracking and management skills
- A proven track record of working with diverse coalitions and coordinating with activists from various backgrounds
- Expertise or a demonstrated interest in issues such as nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, corporate social responsibility, climate change, sustainable agriculture, commodity supply chains, food systems, biodiversity, tropical rainforests, human rights, Indigenous rights
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills
- Must be able to work legally in the United States
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
Full-time salary position with excellent benefits. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Strong preference for this position to be based in our San Francisco headquarters. Must be willing to travel.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
For more information on our work please visit: www.ran.org