RAN’s Forest Program is focused on protecting Indonesia’s forests and fighting for the rights of forest communities. The two campaigns under the Forest Program are the Rainforest Agribusiness campaign that works to stop expansion of palm oil into tropical forests and the RainforestFree Paper campaign that works to stop pulp and paper expansion into natural forests.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hardworking National Organizer to support the Rainforest Agribusiness Campaign. We are looking for a savvy, motivated organizer with a passion for protecting rainforests, endangered species and Indigenous rights. Whether on the phone with a volunteer contact, on Skype with allies across the country, or in a team meeting, the ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people on a variety of levels while remaining enthusiastic, proactive, resourceful and efficient. If you like leading diverse teams, building successful organizing movements, and designing strategies that can be turned into creative actions, we have the job for you.
The Rainforest Agribusiness National Organizer will join a closely coordinated team comprised of a Senior Agribusiness Campaigner, Rainforest Agribusiness Campaigner, Forest Program Coordinator and a team of interns and volunteers.
Position title: Interim Rainforest Agribusiness National Organizer
Position description: The Interim Rainforest Agribusiness National Organizer will run the national organizing program for our palm oil campaign that focuses on breaking the link between snack foods and deforestation and human rights violations.
Terms of employment: This is a fulltime position based with excellent benefits and reports directly to the Rainforest Agribusiness Campaigner. This is a 3 month position, with possibility of extension.
Period of employment: June 23 - October 10
● Work with rainforest agribusiness campaigners and both the communications and online teams to run a national organizing program to support the palm oil campaign that aims to break the link between snack foods and deforestation and human rights violations.
● To continue to test new ways to engage supporters in our palm oil campaign.
● To oversee the Palm Oil Action Team the volunteer activist program that supports the palm oil campaign
● Engage, support and train RAN members & activists across the country through phone, email and social media organizing, as well as a variety of creative online tools;
● Organize, train and inspire Palm Oil Action Team leaders through webinars/ telephone conferences;
● Coordinate big pushes such as national days of action;
● Manage National Organizing Program staff including Volunteer Coordinator
● Train and mentor a team of volunteers (National Organizing Outreach Leaders) to support the goals of the project;
● Coordinate with agribusiness campaigners, online campaigner, and communications team to develop strategic communications (including messaging, materials, web, media);
● Help design and use grassroots toolkits as a key engagement tool;
● Travel as needed to train and support the Palm Oil Action Team on the ground;
● Participate in RAN team meetings, antioppression and diversity initiatives and training sessions. Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace;
● Serve as a public voice of the campaign through regular phone and online communications with key RAN audiences, supporters and members of the Palm Oil Action Team.
● A minimum of 2 years organizing experience
● Superior written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and networking skills.
● Demonstrated expertise in grassroots organizing skills including recruitment, relationship building, organizingskills training & facilitation
● Excellent data tracking and management skills
● Demonstrated expertise in online organizing and campaigning and mastery of using a variety of online tools and strategies to achieve campaign objectives
● A proven track record of working with diverse coalitions and coordinating with activists from various backgrounds
● Expertise or a demonstrated interest in issues such as nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, corporate social responsibility, climate change, sustainable agriculture, commodity supply chains, food systems, biodiversity, tropical rainforests, human rights, Indigenous rights
● Excellent prioritization and time management skills
● Must be able to work legally in the United States
In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to phase out destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that mitigate their contributions to global warming. RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work.
We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
For more information on our work please visit: www.ran.org
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com withe the Subject line: Interim Agribusiness National Organizer