Rainforest Action Network challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
About the position:
RAN is looking for a part-time National Outreach Coordinator to support a robust remote organizing program that generates pressure on America’s largest snack food companies, the Snack Food 20. The National Outreach Coordinator will work directly with the National Organizer and play a leadership role in engaging our Palm Oil Action Team (POAT). The National Organizing Program aims to break the link between the palm oil in America’s snack foods and rainforest destruction, orangutan extinction and human rights and labor abuses.
This position will comprise of two primary roles. The first is to manage POAT tactical pushes, including outreach to thousands of committed POAT activists via phone banking and social media, coordinated toolkit mailings, and gathering report-backs. The second primary role is to recruit and train a team of local volunteers to mobilize RAN’s Palm Oil Action Team (POAT) via phone banking.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated and passionate leader with a deep understanding of grassroots organizing. The National Outreach Coordinator will be responsible for recruiting a team of local volunteers, then mentoring and training them in the San Francisco office to effectively mobilize activists online and over the phone through remote organizing tools. They will also directly engage the POAT themselves. Strong communications skills are therefore a must.
Working directly with our Rainforest Agribusiness National Organizer and Campaign Director, the National Outreach Coordinator will utilize organizing tools to engage RAN Palm Oil Activists across the nation and mobilize them to take action. This position will be responsible for the following:
Recruitment: Recruit and inspire a team of local volunteers to come to the RAN office on a regular basis
Management: Train and mentor a team of volunteers in the San Francisco office to conduct effective supporter engagement through various distributed organizing tools to engage RAN Palm Oil Activists across the nation and mobilize them to take action. This position will be responsible for the following:
- Volunteer Program Development: Create systems for recruiting, retaining and supporting a team of local volunteers
- Outreach: Through recruitment, training and coaching, mobilize thousands of palm oil activists over the phone, on social media, and other online platforms to pressure Snack Food 20 targets
- Leadership Development: Identify leaders, mentor and coach volunteers and activists
- Build Networks: Prioritize college students, parents and food networks
- Program Vision: Participate in strategic planning to help guide the direction of the Palm Oil campaign’s National Organizing Program
- A minimum of 3 years organizing experience
- Superior written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, writing, and networking skills
- A knowledge of online and offline organizing tools
- A proven track record of working with diverse constituencies and coordinating with activists from various backgrounds
- Expertise or a demonstrated interest in issues such as nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, corporate social responsibility, climate change, sustainable agriculture, commodity supply chains, biodiversity, tropical rainforests, human rights, Indigenous rights
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills
- Must be able to work legally in the United States
- Must work out of the San Francisco RAN office
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a temporary position for 32 hours/week at $18/hr.
Dates: October 5-June 30
How to apply
Please send resume and letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
For more information on our work please visit: www.ran.org