Rainforest Action Network (RAN) is an environmental and human rights organization that believes individuals and communities can confront corporate power together to create the world we want and need. RAN uses nonviolent direct action, grassroots organizing, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies to reduce their contributions to climate change. We take leadership from grassroots and Indigenous movements and are currently developing our organization-wide racial justice lens.
RAN’s Forest Program fights for the health of the world's rainforests, and the people and species which rely on them for survival. We stand up to the biggest corporations in the world, the companies putting profits over people and the planet as a matter of business. When human rights are abused, when child and forced labor is an everyday tactic, where land is stolen from Indigenous Peoples so multi-national mega-corporations can destroy forests with impunity, we'll be there fighting the root causes of deforestation.
RAN believes that people acting together can change this, as we have seen time and again throughout history.
RAN has an opening for a full-time position on our Digital Engagement Team for a Digital Campaign Strategist for the Forest Program. The Digital Campaign Strategist will work closely with RAN’s Climate Program to provide the technical backbone necessary for effective online campaigning. The successful candidate will know how to utilize online tools to compel offline action. They will be experienced and strategic in leveraging both in-house resources such as our email list and digital platform, NationBuilder, as well as social media to leverage supporter muscle and provide concrete results for the campaign. The Digital Campaign Strategist will plan and implement a range of digital strategies and tactics, some tried-and-true and some innovative. The Digital Campaign Strategist will be responsible for evaluating data, testing, and reporting back on insights and knowledge gained from each online action completed. In addition to the utilization of online assets in strong and effective campaigning, the Digital Campaign Strategist will be responsible for assisting with growth of RAN presence across social media channels, including but not limited to Facebook and Twitter. The ideal candidate will have strong writing skills—for example, they will be able to craft an excellent advocacy email, and create effective social media copy.
This position is full-time, salary with excellent benefits and reports directly to the Digital Director. This location is flexible, San Francisco preferred. A successful applicant outside of San Francisco must be comfortable and effective working in a distributed team from a home office. With our headquarters located in San Francisco, remote applicants must be comfortable working on or near San Francisco time during normal working hours.
● Working with campaigners, the Digital Campaign Strategist will plan and execute all aspects of robust campaigns in the digital space to move corporate targets.
● With assistance from the communications team, the Digital Campaign Strategist will write email blasts, social media content, and other written materials for online production.
● Build, test, and deploy online action pages.
● Create blogs or other news releases.
● Create and test emails and other online communications.
● Use online tools such as Share Progress, Brigade, Causes, and MoveOn Petitions to increase reach and growth for RAN’s campaigns.
● Create forms and surveys using NationBuilder.
● Use Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, and other data reporting tools to track all communications and their impacts.
● Provide analysis of online performance and recommendations for changes when needed.
● Manage followers on social media and implement strategies to grow reach.
● Create content highlighting regions impacted by fossil fuel extraction and/or climate change.
● Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, or campaigns priorities as requested by supervisor);
● Work openly and cooperatively within a high functioning team dynamic;
● Participate in weekly team meetings and bi-weekly RAN staff meetings;
● Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
● 2-3 years of experience using online advocacy tools such as NationBuilder, Blue State Digital, Action Kit, Salsa, Convio, etc;
● 2-3 years of experience writing advocacy content for online use;
● Strong interpersonal skills;
● Strong organizational, time management and project management skills, ability to work to tight deadlines;
● Passionate commitment to climate protection, human rights and/or corporate campaigning;
● Basic understanding of HTML;
● Experience using social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, for campaigning;
● Experience using basic reporting tools to analyze and track data;
● Ability to work independently from a remote location, to follow instructions, and complete tasks across time zones with a minimal amount of supervision if necessary;
● Strong commitment to and belief in the power of using online resources to help empower communities and activists;
● Knowledge and commitment to advancing racial justice;