For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. Called one of the “most savvy environmental agitators in the business” by The Wall Street Journal, RAN runs creative campaigns to protect forests, stem climate change and uphold human rights by pressuring and inspiring corporations doing the most environmental harm.
RAN has experienced significant growth over the past few years, and is looking for an extraordinary person to support the Executive Director, Lindsey Allen, to take the organization to a new level of influence and effectiveness. We are a seven million dollar organization with a team of 45 people. Our home office is in San Francisco and we have staff members in Indonesia, Japan, the United Kingdom and other parts of the U.S. This position will report to the Executive Director and will be based in San Francisco. We have a flexible and collaborative work culture, a comparative salary and excellent benefits.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and self-directed person to support our Executive Director, the Board of Directors, the Development Department and overall organizational function. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial. The ideal candidate must have excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Attentiveness to detail and strong decision-making and organizational abilities are equally important. This person should have strong interpersonal skills and the ability and willingness to represent RAN and its mission. This is a full-time, non-exempt position.
Complete a broad variety of administrative tasks for the ED including:
- Manage an extremely active calendar of appointments;
- Manage email, and answer correspondence when appropriate;
- Complete expense reports;
- Compile documents for travel-related meetings;
- Manage verbal and written correspondence with a diverse community of RAN members--including activists, environmental justice partner organizations and major donors;
- Manage end-to-end travel processes, including arranging strategic meetings, providing appropriate briefings, setting itineraries, and managing expenses;
- Attend meetings, collect agenda items, and take and produce the minutes when requested;
- Prioritize conflicting needs; handle matters expeditiously, proactively, discreetly with kindness and respect, and follow-through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures;
- Plan, coordinate and ensure the ED’s schedule is followed and respected. Provide “gatekeeper” and “gateway” role, creating win-win situations for direct access to the ED’s time and office;
- Must be prepared to assist in any aspect of RAN’s work as requested by the ED with precision and the utmost respect for confidentiality.
Provide Development and Communications support for the Executive office, including:
- Create and execute communications strategies for the executive office
- Manage online presence of ED through social media and email outreach; keep abreast of current issues, create content for online channels, and analyze engagement metrics
- Provide publicity support for the ED, in particular securing invitations to speak at key events and conferences;
- Organize executive press and major donor outreach, including drafting correspondence, arranging meetings, conducting research and identifying new prospects;
- Collaborate with the Development Department to raise the profile of the annual fundraising gala, house parties, and other special events.
Work directly with the Board of Directors, with tasks including:
- Collaborate with individual board members and manage special projects to ensure the board is as effective as possible
- Coordinate all meetings of the Board and the Executive Committee of the Board; prepare notices, agendas, and materials for members; take minutes at all meetings and prepare summary reports for publication;
- Maintain RAN’s policy files and records and assist the Board Chair to ensure adherence to these policies
- Provide Board related materials in response to annual reporting requirements;
- Coordinate annual new Board member orientation and prepare and provide orientation materials;
- Assist with Board Committee projects.
- 3 years direct experience assisting a high-level executive, ideally in a non-profit environment;
- Experience with or interest in fundraising and development;
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English;
- Excellent administrative skills – typing, filing, phone, email etc.;
- Impeccable follow-through and task management;
- Highly organized, able to prioritize and multi-task;
- Commitment to or interest in social justice causes.
RAN works to advance racial justice, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
Salary is competitive for the non-‐profit Bay Area market and benefits include full health insurance coverage (including a employer funded Health Savings Account), vision insurance, and dental insurance. We offer four weeks of Paid Time Off (PTO), which increases to five weeks of annual PTO after an employee has been on staff for two years. We have a Simple IRA retirement plan with an annual 3% fully vesting employer match. After five years of employment all staff are eligible for a three-‐month fully paid sabbatical. At RAN we encourage team members to maintain a positive work/life balance and offer flexibility where needed to make this possible.
Please send resumes and letters of interest to EA@ran.org. No phone calls please.
Status: Exempt, Full Time
Location: San Francisco, CA preferred
Application Deadline: This position will be posted until hired. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.