For 25 years, Rainforest Action Network has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working person to support the Climate and Energy Program Director and the Climate and Energy team. The ability to interact with staff at all levels—while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful, and efficient—is essential. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial.
This is an ideal position for a recent graduate interested in environmental advocacy. The successful candidate will have a passionate commitment to environmental protection and/or corporate campaigning. They will love developing and maintaining systems for efficient working and will have an interest in developing their research skills.
This position provides administrative and campaign support for the Climate and Energy Program, provides support to the Climate and Energy Program Director (PD), and handles special projects as assigned. This position is full-time with full benefits and reports to the Climate and Energy Senior Research and Policy Campaigner.
The PD oversees strategic development of Rainforest Action Network’s Climate and Energy campaigns, organizes other special projects, ensures funding, administrative and organizational support for RAN’s campaigns, and supervises campaigners. The Program Assistant will provide overall administrative support to the PD for these areas. As a critical member of the Climate and Energy team, this person will have the opportunity to participate in strategic discussions, corporate negotiations, and campaign planning sessions. Beyond meeting the administrative needs of the team, special research projects will be assigned based on the skillset of the selected applicant.
- Track weekly reports and collect agenda items for team check-in meetings;
- Monitor Program budget, track team spending, maintain fundraising records and participate in development pushes;
- Coordinate weekly team meetings
- Make logistical arrangements for internal and external meetings for Climate and Energy team, collect agenda items and take minutes at weekly team meetings and as requested at other meetings;
- Coordinate paperwork for contractors, assist with hiring processes and onboard new team members;
- Supervise interns when needed and manage team annual review timelines;
- Support program planning processes, implement workplan evaluations and coordinate campaign calendars;
- Handle appropriate written and verbal correspondence;
- Assist PD and campaign team in other projects as needed or as requested;
- Compile daily summary of Program specific news items;
- Conduct campaign-related research for the climate and energy program on a range of topics, including climate change, finance, and the energy industry;
- Develop and run project management systems for Program projects;
- Support other aspects of RAN’s work (e.g. helping during major fundraising events, grassroots trainings, or campaigns priorities as requested by PD);
- Participate in weekly RAN staff meetings;
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- College degree or equivalent;
- Excellent verbal communication skills in English and the ability to write clearly and persuasively
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- Strong research skills, including the ability to independently investigate and communicate about complex topics;
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint and basic internet skills);
- Previous experience in administrative position required, campaigning, or advocacy experience preferred;
- Passionate commitment to environmental protection and/or corporate campaigning is required.
- Experience working in non-profits is preferred;
- Knowledge and interest of issues surrounding climate change a plus;
- Knowledge and interest of issues surrounding anti-oppression and diversity a plus.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
Supervisor: Senior Policy & Research Campaigner
Status: Full-time hourly, RAN offers a competitive benefits package plus the opportunity to participate in the company matching (3%) retirement plan after only 6 months on the job.
Location: San Francisco
To apply: Please send resume and letter of interest to: HR, Rainforest Action Network, 425 Bush Street, Suite 300, SF, CA 94108, fax 415.398.2732, or e-mail: email@example.com. No phone calls, please.