For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, peaceful direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop their destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change.With a budget of approximately $11 million and an international staff of approximately 60 (based from San Francisco to New York to London to Asia), RAN works toward a world where the rights and dignity of all communities are respected and where healthy forests, a stable climate, and wild biodiversity are protected and celebrated.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world.
RAN values diversity in race, class, gender, culture, and religion, and implements programs internally to ensure that staff, board, and activists understand and adopt anti-oppression principles. For more information about RAN’s history, culture, and philosophy, please visit RAN’s website.
The Tech and Office Manager is responsible for supporting RAN staff in various administrative ways so that each staff member can work in the most efficient and practical manner. This position contributes to RAN’s day-to-day stability and sustainability by continuously training and shepherding individual staff on various software and hardware relevant to ‘office workers’, staying educated on technology trends related to RAN’s work environments, and being a creative thinking partner to the outsourced tech support team.
- Facilitates digital document management broadly in collaboration with each RAN team.
- Facilitates cyber security project currently underway, in collaboration with external security consultants, 24hourtek, and internal point persons.
- Works with 24hourtek to keep and update inventory list of computer equipment owned by RAN, including spares kept at the SF office.
- Tracks and manages software subscriptions and purchases.
- Tracks weekly and yearly trainings required of individual staff.
- Facilitates activation/deactivation of users and computers, and personal devices if requested.
- Keeps up-to-date on open tech support tickets with 24hourtek and escalates them as deemed appropriate.
- Attends monthly meetings with CFO and 24hourtek.
- Meets regularly with each staff person regarding their understanding of RAN-required software (Zoom, LastPass, etc.) – be a tech concierge!
- Brings ideas about how to incorporate newly available technology into RAN’s work
SF office related:
- Answers the RAN main office phone line (Google voice) and main RAN email.
- Manages mail received at the office.
- Manages office layout to ensure efficient use of space and resources.
- Maintains office supplies and furniture inventory.
- Manages office entry system and alarm security system.
- Manages the cleanliness of the office in coordination with building management and/or
- Handles orientation for new SF-based staff regarding office systems/security and office
- Is available for visitors and/or meetings in the office.
- To achieve these duties, regular (once or twice weekly) attendance in the office is
- Manages RAN-wide tchotchkes/swag (currently hoodies).
- Is a pro-active member of the admin team and pitches in when team members are on PTO/sabbatical/leaves to assist.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
The successful candidate will have the following characteristics and qualifications:
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in a business office environment.
- Minimum 2 years of experience assisting others in the use of technology, specifically:
- G-Suite including G-cloud for document storage and Google Voice
- Microsoft Suite
- Adobe products
- PII Protect
- NextCloud on the horizon
- Minimum 2 years of experience supporting administrative/office management functions.
- English proficiency is required; additional language skills in Bahasa Indonesian and/or Japanese would be an advantage.
This position is considered “location-specific” and must work regularly, at minimum once or twice per week, from our office in San Francisco. Because this is a highly collaborative position that works with every member of our staff, candidates should expect to be available with regard to time zones including all US time zones, as well as time zones in the UK and Europe, Australia, and Japan.
This is a full-time position with an anticipated starting salary range of $66,000-78,000, commensurate with experience.
Benefits include 100% RAN-paid health, dental and vision insurance for the staff person and their partner/family, four weeks PTO (increases to five weeks after two years) as well as a paid winter break, and a retirement plan with a 3% employer match. Additionally, after every five years of service, staff are eligible for a 12-week fully-paid sabbatical.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND ACCESS
RAN is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing all people with equal access to employment and volunteer opportunities. If you need assistance with accommodations during our interview or employment process, please contact HR@ran.org. We encourage applicants of color and from other historically excluded identities to apply for this position.
Please use the link below to submit a resume and cover letter.