Rainforest Action Network (RAN) challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
For more than 30 years, RAN has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated research and policy analyst to support the Climate and Energy program in its campaign to keep fossil fuels in the ground and accelerate the transition to a renewable energy-based economy by pressuring financial institutions to end their support for fossil fuel expansion and commit to fossil fuels phase out and respect for human rights. The analyst will take on campaign research projects on energy, climate change, and the financial and insurance sector, and support policy analysis and direct engagement with financial industry executives. The ideal candidate will have excellent research, analytical and writing skills as well as the ability to work independently on complex research tasks. A high level of professionalism and confidentiality is crucial.
A successful candidate will have a commitment to climate justice, environmental protection and/or corporate campaigning. They will enjoy working collaboratively on fast-moving campaigns and will be skilled in research and data analysis. As a member of the Climate and Energy team, they will also have the opportunity to participate in strategic discussions and campaign planning sessions.
- Conduct research for the Climate and Energy program on climate, finance, insurance, financial and energy regulation, the fossil fuel industry, and corporate targets
- With guidance from team members, translate this research into policy briefings, campaign materials, and strategic analysis for corporate and investor engagement, and other products as needed.
- Monitor financial industry trends and energy financing on the Bloomberg terminal (software that allows access to real-time financial data)
- Develop and use in-depth knowledge of Bloomberg terminal functionality, advanced Microsoft Excel formulas, and understanding of fossil fuel sectors to create and continually refine complex methodology for compiling a large dataset on bank finance to all fossil fuel companies globally
- Develop and use in-depth knowledge of the Bloomberg terminal to advise on data strategies and technical issues, and to provide customized datasets and analysis as needed for RAN campaigns and external partners.
- Lead annual concept creation and production of visualizations for key fossil fuel finance findings, effectively synthesizing multifaceted report results
- Support engagement with banks, investors, ESG data companies and other key audiences
- Respond to research requests from team members as well as external allies
- Participate in team-wide strategy and tactical planning and implementation
- Undertake administrative tasks, e.g. planning retreat logistics, weekly team meeting notes
and report outs, all-staff updates, etc., as requested
- Strong research and analytical skills; comfort with quantitative analysis, including relevant tools, and ability to work with large, overlapping datasets
- Ability to analyze, synthesize, and effectively and succinctly communicate (graphically and in written form) findings from complex data;
- Track record of working across teams and with partner organizations
- Excellent written and verbal English communication skills
- Project management skills
- Highly organized; ability to multi-task and work collaboratively in a fast-paced campaigning
environment, and to be flexible with shifting priorities
- Willingness to acquire in-depth knowledge of relevant Bloomberg terminal functions
- Aptitude for accurate and diplomatic engagement with financial industry executives
- Knowledge of and interest in climate change, and/or environmental and human rights issues
related to the energy and finance sectors preferred
- Experience in or knowledge of the financial sector a plus
- Experience working in a non-profit organization a plus
- Previous campaigning or advocacy experience a plus
- Knowledge and interest of issues surrounding anti-oppression and racial justice a plus
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world.
This is a full-time position with an anticipated starting salary range of $60,000-$70,000, commensurate with experience. RAN staff are eligible to work remotely, or to work out of RAN’s office in San Francisco. This position will require significant overlap with US Pacific time zone.
Benefits include 100% RAN-paid health, dental and vision insurance for the employee and their partner/family, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years) as well as a paid winter break, and a retirement plan with a 3% employer match. Additionally, after each 5 years of service, staff are eligible for a 12 week fully-paid sabbatical.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND ACCESS
RAN is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing all people with equal access to employment and volunteer opportunities. If you need assistance with accommodations during our interview or employment process, please contact HR@ran.org. We encourage applicants of color and from other historically excluded identities to apply for this position.
Please use the link below to submit a resume and cover letter.