For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
We are currently a 9 million dollar organization with a team of around 50 distributed staff. Our HQ is in San Francisco, California and we have staff members in other parts of the US, Indonesia, Japan, the United Kingdom and a few other countries.
We are looking for a hands-on People & Culture Generalist to be part of our 2 person HR team, reporting to the Sr. Manager of People & Culture. This position will help coordinate and implement organization-wide policies and procedures that align with best practices in the field and fully support the organizational culture of RAN. Leading HR functions with racial justice and equity at the center is essential for this role. The work location for this position is flexible.
Areas of responsibility
- Serve as the primary liaison between RAN and its PEO (ADP TotalSource) to collaborate, update, and review HR-related documents/incidents while maintaining all personnel records in BambooHR and analyzing reports ensuring data integrity
- Manage the overall talent recruitment effort for all positions, and build out diverse networks to recruit from
- Advise hiring managers in identifying talent needs, preparing, reviewing, and updating job descriptions
- Conduct all employee HR onboarding (payroll system, mandatory trainings, etc.) and exit interviews
- Manage the yearly performance appraisal process
- In consultation with the Executive team, ensure proper maintenance and upkeep of the RAN Employee Handbook
- Perform benefits administration (both health, retirement plans, leaves) to include enrollment, claims resolution, change reporting, annual re-evaluation of policies for effectiveness based on staff needs
- Keeper of the RAN holiday and office closure calendar
- Communicate and champion HR best practices, RAN values and RJ principles with staff
- Responsible for upkeep of BambooHR, our new HRIS system.
- Assist in implementing and annually benchmarking staff salaries and developing budgets (COLA & merit increases); supporting managers in re-writing job descriptions as necessary; staying abreast of compensation trends in the nonprofit sector.
- Collaborate with the Sr. Manager of People & Culture in developing and implementing overall HR strategies, tactics, and procedures across the organization. Monitor and update on a periodical basis.
- Under the guidance of the Sr. Manager of People & Culture, strengthen employee relations by proactively addressing concerns, grievances, or any other HR issues
- Assist in various aspects payroll administration including but not limited to timesheets, accurate tracking of PTO, overtime management, minimum wage requirements, etc.
- Facilitate the annual organizational survey and report back to Leadership team and staff
- Function as part of the HR knowledge center on all related compliance and regulatory matters.
- Proven working experience in the HR field
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrable experience with HR metrics, systems and databases.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Outstanding time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- People-oriented with focus on pro-actively supporting all staff.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong sense of confidentiality and integrity.
- Superb active listening skills.
- Thorough knowledge of labor law (or where to get relevant info) and HR best practices.
- Very good verbal and written English skills; fluency in Japanese or Bahasa would be extras.
- BambooHR knowledge desired.
- In-depth negotiation and presentation skills desired.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position. RAN salaries are adjusted by geographic cost of labor, so the final salary would be determined by location, in addition to a candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. (Ex: hiring an employee in Green Bay, WI would result in a lower target salary range than in San Francisco CA due to the geographic cost of labor). The target annual salary range is $65,000– $70,000 for an employee based in San Francisco.
Los Angeles: $58,000 – $62,550
New York: $60,000 – $65,300
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully-paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below with your resume and cover letter: