For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and energetic Organizer in the Midwest or on the West Coast, to support RAN’s Organizing Program. In this position you will use your high level of professionalism, strong organizational skills and smart strategic coordination to accelerate a global transition to truly clean energy production.
The ideal candidate will be able to build and establish relationships with networks through a variety of outreach. Exceptionally strong writing skills and an ability to train volunteers in various environments (traditional/digital). Experience working with Indigenous communities and a track record of taking projects to successful completion are also highly desired.
- Support strategies in the Midwest or West Coast, that support keeping fossil fuels in the ground and keeping forests standing;
- Maintain an active national network with established activist groups and allies through outreach and leadership development;
- Support strategies to build partnerships with youth and BIPOC-led coalitions and organizations;
- Broaden RAN’s collaborative organizing into diverse constituencies, frontline and Indigenous communities;
- Develop and train new volunteer leaders and groups, especially from communities of color disproportionately impacted by climate change;
- Implement agreed-upon organizing and campaign activities that expose destructive practices and build toward creative solutions;
- Conduct, direct or support research to be used for crafting strategy or for specific goals and activities;
- In conjunction with other departments at RAN design, create, organize and use a range of tools (direct actions, direct communication, traditional and social media, briefing sheets, and other tools) to communicate with target audiences and to achieve objectives;
- Draft compelling communications and advocacy materials, including email and social media content;
- Represent RAN at events as well as act as a public spokesperson for RAN;
- Train activists in non-violent direct action, media and communication skills, grassroots organizing;
- Work openly and cooperatively with other team members;
- Participate in weekly RAN staff meetings;
- Relatable experience with on the ground organizing on environmental or social justice issues, including familiarity with online to offline organizing;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills;
- Proven ability to multitask in a fast-paced campaign environment.
- Passionate commitment to climate protection, corporate campaigning, racial justice and equity;
- Understanding of non-violent direct action as both a strategy and tactic;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Solid computer skills (MS Office-literate);
- Ability to travel regularly
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position. RAN salaries are adjusted by geographic cost of labor, so the final salary would be determined by location, in addition to a candidate’s overall experience and qualifications. (Ex: hiring an employee in Chicago, IL would result in a lower target salary range than in San Francisco CA due to the geographic cost of labor). The target annual salary range is $53,800 – $57,500 for an employee based in San Francisco. Salary ranges for other cities shown below:
Chicago, IL: $46,300 – $49,532
Cincinnati, Oh: $43,200 – $46,141
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully-paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below:
Supervisor: Scott Parkin – Director of Organizing
Status: Exempt, Salaried Benefited position
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/Remote Okay<