For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned to preserve forests, protect the climate and uphold human rights by challenging corporate power and systemic injustice through research, education, partnerships, non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, strategic campaigns and communications. We are committed to working with Indigenous and frontline communities directly impacted by profit-driven systems of injustice. In partnership with allies from around the world, RAN challenges corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt policies that reduce their contributions to climate change. RAN is committed to doing what is necessary, not only what is considered politically feasible.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working Senior Campaigner who will be based in our San Francisco headquarters and work with the Global Forest Program. In this position you will use your high level of professionalism, mastery of project management, savvy negotiating skills, and smart strategic coordination to pressure some of the largest corporations in the world. Whether on the phone with a corporate contact, on skype with allies in Indonesia, or in a team meeting, the ideal candidate will enjoy interacting with people on a variety of levels while remaining flexible, proactive, resourceful and efficient. If you like leading diverse teams, successful negotiations, and designing strategies that can be turned into creative action, we have the job for you.
This is a highly collaborative position, working closely with our communication, digital, organizing, and development departments. The ideal candidate will thrive at coordinating inter-departmental teams, managing multiple priorities in a fast-paced campaigning environment, and listening to and incorporating feedback from our frontline partners.
The Senior Forest Campaigner will join a closely coordinated team comprised of Campaigners, our Policy Director and global team members and will work regularly on interdepartmental pushes. This position is full-time and salaried with excellent benefits and reports directly to the Campaign Director.
- Design market based campaign strategies that support forest protection and uphold the rights of forest communities;
- Direct and support research to be used for crafting campaign strategy or for specific campaign goals and activities;
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships nationally and internationally to help the team improve and amplify goals and pushes;
- Support corporate engagement with demand and supply side companies;
- Write campaign materials for various audiences and review and approve messaging drafted by others;
- Project manage team projects across global time zones and departments;
- Support planning of team retreats, calls, and meetings;
- Support writing team plans;
- Work with the Campaign Director and Development department on foundation proposals and membership materials;
- Coordinate within RAN departments to ensure that work is well coordinated across the org;
- Represent RAN at public events;
- Support RAN’s racial justice work;
- Participate in RAN staff meetings, campaign meetings and program meetings; and
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- A minimum of six years experience of corporate, human rights and/or environmental campaigning;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills;
- A proven track record of working effectively in teams;
- Proven ability to design and implement campaign strategies;
- Knowledge and interest in Racial Justice;
- Passionate commitment to forest protection, Indigenous and community rights, climate justice, and/or corporate campaigning;
- Understanding of non-violent direct action;
- Highly organized, ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced campaigning environment;
- Solid computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint and basic internet skills);
- Ability to travel and willingness to work flexible hours for meetings with our global team based in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.
- Experience in corporate negotiations; and
- Language skills from regions in which we work are a plus, including but not limited to Indonesian, Portuguese and Spanish.
- This position will be based in our San Francisco, CA headquarters.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
This is a full-time position based in our San Francisco office. Target salary range is $69,000 – $75,000, with the final salary determination based on the candidate’s experience and overall qualifications. Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family, an employer funded HSA, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vested employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully-paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below:
Supervisor: Robin Averbeck
Status: Exempt, Salaried Benefited position
Location: San Francisco