For 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is looking for a motivated, passionate and hard-working Regional Organizer, based either in the San Francisco Bay Area or the upper Midwest United States, to support RAN’s Organizing Program. In this position you will use your high level of professionalism, strong organizational skills and smart strategic coordination to accelerate a global transition to truly clean energy production. This position is a 40 hour per week position that reports directly to the Director of the Organizing Program.
- Support organizing strategies within RAN campaigns that are working to keep fossil fuels in the ground and keep forests standing;
- Maintain an active national network with established activist groups and allies through outreach and leadership development;
- Broaden RAN’s collaborative organizing into diverse constituencies, frontline and Indigenous communities;
- Develop and train new volunteer leaders and groups, especially from communities of color disproportionately impacted by climate change;
- Implement agreed-upon organizing and campaign activities that expose destructive practices and build toward creative solutions;
- Conduct, direct or support research to be used for crafting strategy or for specific goals and activities;
- In conjunction with other departments at RAN design, create, organize and use a range of tools (direct actions, direct communication, traditional and social media, briefing sheets, and other tools) to communicate with target audiences and to achieve objectives;
- Draft compelling communications and advocacy materials, including email and social media content;
- Represent RAN at events as well as act as a public spokesperson for RAN; Train activists in non-violent direct action, media and communication skills, grassroots organizing;
- Work openly and cooperatively with other team members;
- Participate in weekly RAN staff meetings;
- Share responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace.
- A minimum of 1 year experience on the ground organizing on environmental or social justice issues, including familiarity with online to offline organizing;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong organizational, time management and project management skills;
- Proven ability to multitask in a fast paced campaign environment.
- Passionate commitment to climate protection, corporate campaigning, racial justice and equity;
- Understanding of non-violent direct action as both a strategy and tactic;
- Ability to work on tight deadlines;
- Solid computer skills (MS Office-literate);
- Ability to travel regularly
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The target salary range for this position is based off a competitive San Francisco Bay Area Non-profit location, the salary in San Francisco will be between $52,000 to $54,500** The final salary will be determined based on the candidate experience & overall qualifications. **Note: Adjustments to the final salary will also be made depending on the candidate’s geographical location compared to the SF Bay Area (Ex. If the position is in a city located in Iowa, the above salary will be geographical adjusted to that region).
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff becomes eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply directly with the link below
Supervisor: Scott Parkin
Status: Exempt, Salaried Benefited position
Location: San Francisco Bay Area/Mid-West Remote okay