For more than 30 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with Indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
RAN is seeking an experienced, self-starting, data-oriented individual to join RAN’s fundraising team as a Database Administrator. This position is primarily responsible for timely, accurate and efficient processing of donations; improving and maintaining the overall integrity of the Raiser’s Edge database; managing financial reports and reconciliation between the development and finance teams; and measuring and assessing donor trends to inform fundraising strategy in support of department-wide goals. The Database Manager supports the activities of three teams: Development (90%), Digital (5%), and Finance (5%).
Under the supervision of the Development Director, the ideal candidate will be an integral member of the team who is comfortable with numbers, enjoys troubleshooting, and is a collaborative team player in a mission-driven organization. This position may be at RAN’s main office in San Francisco, with the possibility of working remotely from within the U.S.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop standards of how to enter donor information into Raiser’s Edge to guarantee consistency and accuracy across users
- Ensure data accuracy, performing regular data verification reports, correcting mistakes, and communicating amendments to relevant staff.
- Lead database cleanup project and conduct annual database audits
- Oversees the quality, integrity, and accuracy of all donor information and gifts entered into RE – from online gifts, pledges and payments received for all campaigns, events, and initiatives
- Manage the weekly gift reports and department’s monthly revenue tracking reports
- Analyze trends, including donor level moves, donor retention rates, donor growth, and fundraising ROI, to inform fundraising strategies.
- Serve as the RAN staff expert on Raiser’s Edge, establishing user protocols, updating relevant policy manuals, training new development staff, and cross-training staff, as needed.
- Work closely with finance staff to reconcile finances monthly and ensure solid accounting and record-keeping for all revenue accounts. Assist finance department with annual audit.
- Serve on a cross-departmental team that will work with the Digital Team to identify and implement systems in a way that will unify Digital/Finance/Devo data and implement related internal procedures to improve efficiency in this realm.
- Be an active member of the Development team; participate occasionally in development events, as necessary.
- Expert experience in data management using Raiser’s Edge or comparable fundraising software required (raiser’s edge certification a plus);
- Expertise in queries, importing/exporting and reporting functions;
- Experience working with Engaging Networks, or comparable eCRM platforms, and Import-O-Matic or similar import tools, a plus
- Strong analytic skills, tech savvy, and a solid understanding of the data needs of fundraisers
- Ability to anticipate internal (staff) and serve external (donor) expectations
- Strategic and solutions-oriented thinker with the ability to efficiently solve problems
- Team player with commitment to collaborating with peers, working collegially across departments, and supporting departmental and organizational well-being and values
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities while also staying committed to providing accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
The target salary range for this position is $65,000 – $70,000 based off a competitive San Francisco Bay Area Non-profit location, The final salary will be determined based on the candidate experience & overall qualifications, and adjusted down depending on the candidate’s geographical location compared to the SF Bay Area (Example: If an employee is hired in Kansas City, the salary would be geographically adjusted down to the comparable salary region).
Benefits include full health coverage for the employee and their partner/family (plus an employer funded HSA), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
How to Apply:
Supervisor: Laurie Martin
Status: Exempt, Salaried Benefited position