Individual Giving Coordinator
About RAN: For 28 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
About the Position: RAN is looking for an innovative, organized, self-motivated, and qualified individual to be the main driver of RAN’s multi-channel fundraising from individuals giving under $1,000. The primary function of the Individual Giving Coordinator (IGC) is to acquire new donors and retain current donors through innovative as well as traditional means while meeting the department’s revenue and expense budget goals (likely to be growing significantly in next 5 years). Through developing and implementing strategy, managing resources, and setting workflow priorities the IGC will raise funds through direct and digital mail, digital advertising, and use a moves management and generational giving mindset. The person in this position reports directly to the Development Director and will work closely with the members of the development team, digital team, and outside contractors to cultivate relationships with existing donors and engage them as lifelong supporters and donors of RAN.
- Coordinate all direct mail and offline efforts with outsourced contractors and clients and work with campaign, communications, and development staff to create project specific and timely mailings.
- Coordinate with the digital team’s dedicated fundraiser to implement digital appeals and to ensure RAN’s new website is donor friendly.
- Coordinate with Database Coordinator efforts to track success of each project and develop a concise consistent reporting method for each area of income responsibility.
- Acquisitions: Increase RAN's membership base and total membership through online and offline means by reflecting campaign and communications priorities/directives to develop program specific messaging.
- Renewals: Retain current donors through innovative means by managing a direct mail renewal and appeal program, investigate ways to use online methods to renew members, consider incentives (benefits) for new and lapsed individual donors, and incorporate workplace and employee matching funds appeal into all efforts.
- Membership Stewardship and Engagement: Assure appropriate fulfillment of donor acknowledgement and benefit administration. Involve RAN members in grassroots activities (e.g. letter writing campaigns) designed to win campaign victories. Utilize monthly Panther and other print resources to inform, involve and solicit members.
- Oversee the moves management program and champion the missing middle donors and to plan, implement and manage prospect research of RAN’s members with the goal of identifying and moving high net worth/capacity donors;
- Increase the monthly donor/sustainer program and develop solutions to loss of revue through expired credit cards.
- Work with communications department to develop marketing strategies (surveys, etc).
- Help Development Director through research and due diligent to select third party contractors for state registration compliance and direct mail program.
- Create and maintain annual revenue budget and expense budget and work with operations team to ensure the budgetary needs are meet.
- Provide development team with regular updates on best practices, reports and other pertinent changes in the fundraising field.
- Participate in RAN's organizational planning and training sessions, weekly RAN staff, and development department meetings. Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace. Contribute to Campaign success as appropriate during external activities.
- Two to five years fundraising experience with an emphasis in annual giving and/or membership programs.
- Knowledge and/or interest in international environmental concerns and activism preferred.
- Experience supervising consultants.
- Customer service orientation helpful.
- Working knowledge of budgeting processes and principles.
- Technical knowledge of relational database management, preferably with Raiser's Edge.
- Digital savvy, especially as it pertains to marketing, communications, fundraising.
- Strong communications skills, both verbal and written, preferably in promotional writing and mass communications for a multi-generational digital and off line audience.
- Exceptional ability to handle fast paced annual calendar, manage multiple projects, and to track projects from beginning to completion.
- Proclivity to data analysis and results oriented.
- Team player, creative problem solver, charismatic self-starter.
- Knowledge and interest of issues surrounding anti-oppression and diversity a plus.
- Work well with little supervision in a fast paced, ever evolving environment.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
Salary: Salary is competitive and benefits include health, vision & dental insurance, 4 weeks vacation, and a 401K-type program.
To apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Individual Giving Coordinator. No phone calls, please.