Available now, RAN has an opening on our Digital Engagement Team for a Web Developer. This is a full time position with benefits listed below. You’ll join a team of digital savvy activists taking on some of the biggest polluters and human rights abusers around the globe and winning. In this role you will be leading on continued development of RAN.org as our hub for information, story-telling, online action, and deep supporter engagement. You’ll be able to drive the development of online resources to make campaigners and volunteers around the world more nimble and effective in some of the biggest global issue fights of our lifetimes.
Development will range from day to day production of actions, petitions, story hubs, and donation pages; to building creative micro-sites brand jamming corporate abusers and driving on the ground action to organize people across the world. It will be a fast moving role that will take someone who is good at finishing development projects to the tiny details and be able to think big picture about development capacity and be willing to bring on contract support when needed.
Location: Flexible, San Francisco is our in person office location. A successful applicant outside of San Francisco must be comfortable and effective working in a distributed team from a remote office.
- You’ll need to be comfortable working in NationBuilder’s theme files as well it’s related suite of interconnected tools (bulk email, database, fundraising)
- Write well clean, testable and efficient code the follows industry best practices.
- Use third party plugins to collect data
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsible for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with web designers to match visual design intent
- Experience with -- or ability to quickly ramp up on -- NationBuilder
- Proven working experience in front end web development
- Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of Liquid and HTML/CSS
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimisation process
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organisational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and resources
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- Experience collaborating closely with web designers to produce visually top-notch web pages
- Ability to work independently from a remote location, to follow instructions, and complete tasks across time zones with a minimal amount of supervision if necessary
- Strong commitment to and belief in the power of using online resources to help empower communities and activists to right wrongs and make change in the world.
RAN works to advance racial justice, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive, and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
Salary is competitive for the non-profit Bay Area market and benefits include full health (employer funded Health Savings Account), VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, staff are eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resumes and letters of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
Status Exempt, Full Time
Location: Flexible or San Francisco, CA