Rainforest Action Network (RAN) challenges corporate practices that threaten our forests and our climate, protects the rights of communities that depend on these resources, and promotes forward thinking strategies to preserve of our planet. A core principle in that effort is our commitment to finding systemic solutions that do not promote or continue systems of oppression or injustice.
As a core member of RAN’s seven-person development team, the Foundations Manager shares responsibility to fulfill Foundation revenues and has direct line management of RAN’s Foundations Coordinator. This role also includes support of Development Director by overseeing all aspects of Foundations from budget to actuals tracking, research, prospecting, and building the pipeline of potential unrestricted institutional funders.
With support from the Foundation Coordinator, he/she will work closely with RAN’s program staff and Executive Director to cultivate relationships with foundations’ staff to ensure continued and increased giving on an annual basis.
The successful candidate for the position will identify with RAN’s mission, and have a strong interest in environmental, human rights and/or climate change issues. She/he will have superior writing and editing skills, and be able to communicate authoritatively about a range of topics, including climate change, deforestation and human rights injustice. She/he must be an excellent project manager, extremely organized and a strong communicator. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record having solicited grants from foundations in the six to seven figures range, and supervisory skills and/or experience; be adept at working with senior management and be comfortable in “managing up” to ensure desired outcomes; and have the ability to navigate the details in the context of the whole. This position reports directly to the Development Director.
- Oversee the editing of content for all proposal and report submissions to foundations;
- Work together with Foundations Coordinator to ensure timely input from other RAN staff on all proposals and reports;
- Initiate processes to cultivate funding from new and lapsed foundations and consult with campaign directors and Executive Director to decide what component of RAN’s work to pitch;
- Consult with Executive Director and campaign directors about cultivation plans and next steps to steward funding from foundations;
- Create and implement annual fundraising plan to cultivate and steward new or repeating gifts from institutional donors (includes sending reminders to individuals to call/email, setting up introductory meetings, writing content for introductory emails, etc.)
- Keep RAN’s program directors team abreast of all activity in foundations, including variances between actual funding received and projected monthly income;
- Meet with campaign directors on a monthly basis to review list of prospects and develop cultivation plan;
- Supervise, train and mentor Foundations Coordinator;
- Meet weekly with Foundations Coordinator to provide support and ensure ongoing progress;
RAN strives to integrate values of equity and fairness into our work, which includes bringing an intentional racial justice analysis to our programmatic work and organizational structure. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this ongoing process and work with us to create a just and inclusive work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities. We encourage applicants of color to apply for this position.
Salary is competitive for the Northern California non-profit market. Benefits include full medical (employer funded Health Savings Account) coverage, VSP & dental insurance, 4 weeks PTO (increases to 5 weeks after 2 years), and a Simple IRA retirement plan with a 3% fully vesting employer match. Additionally, after 5 years, eligible for a 3 month fully paid sabbatical.
Please send resume and letter of interest to email@example.com with job title and your name in the subject line. If possible please include online portfolio, personal website, LinkedIn page or any other online resume you update. No phone calls, please.
Supervisor: Development Director
Status: FTE, Benefitted
Location: San Francisco