For 29 years, Rainforest Action Network (RAN) has campaigned for the forests, their inhabitants and the natural systems that sustain life. In coalition with indigenous communities and allies from around the world, RAN uses non-violent direct action, grassroots organizing, education, and strategic communications to challenge corporations to stop destructive operations, respect human rights, and adopt comprehensive policies that reduce their contributions to global warming.
The Foundations Coordinator will play a key role in securing unrestricted and restricted funding from foundations to support RAN’s core work. Coming off a record year in its grant support, the organization is committed to use this momentum to develop new opportunities for continued revenue growth. The Foundations Coordinator will work closely with RAN’s Deputy Development Director to develop foundation proposals and reports, while managing all administrative needs for RAN’s foundation supporters.
Specifically, the Foundations Coordinator will be responsible for supporting proposal development and reporting processes to ensure high quality and timely submissions to foundations. S/he will manage all administrative tasks for the grants program and take the lead on researching new foundation prospects and developing a system to track findings on an ongoing basis.
RAN is seeking a dynamic individual with excellent writing skills, project management experience and enthusiasm for the organization. Ideal candidates will have familiarity with grant proposals and a proven ability to write clearly about sophisticated, multi-faceted issues for unfamiliar audience.
- Under the supervision of the Deputy Development Director (Foundations Director) write and edit content for proposal and report submissions to foundations;
- Track all upcoming proposal application and reporting deadlines, and inform all required individuals to ensure timely participation and submissions;
- Coordinate relevant staff to provide timely feedback and information on all foundation proposals and reports;
- Know guidelines for all foundation proposals and reports to make sure all submissions are accurately formatted and include all required information, including supplementary budgets and materials;
- Work with finance department and Deputy Development Director to develop financial reports and budgets for all foundation submissions;
- Submit all applications or direct appropriate director to submit, providing all required materials;
- Research new institutional prospects using annual reports, websites, Foundations Center online database, attendee lists for conferences, referrals, etc. and work with Deputy Development Director and program directors to develop cultivation strategy;
- Maintain electronic and hardcopy records for all foundations activity, including Raiser’s Edge files;
- Update foundations revenue forecast on an ongoing basis, and keep development and deputy directors abreast of all significant activity within RAN’s foundations program;
- Complete grant agreement administration, including getting appropriate leadership signature(s), and acknowledge all gifts from foundations on a timely basis;
- Support RAN’s development team as needed, including participation in mailings and volunteering at special events;
- Participate in RAN’s organizational planning, anti-oppression and diversity initiatives and training sessions;
- Share office responsibilities to maintain a healthy and safe workplace; and
- Participate in weekly staff and team meetings.
The successful candidate for the position will identify with RAN’s mission, and have a strong interest in the environment, human rights and/or climate change issues. S/he will be an excellent writer and show a commitment to building a career in fundraising. RAN is seeking someone who is efficient, a self-starter and organized. S/he must have superior interpersonal and communication skills and be comfortable working with a results-oriented team and also enjoy working independently. Handling day-to-day details while simultaneously keeping track of the big picture is essential in this position. Research and analytical skills are required. Experience with grant writing, Raiser’s Edge, and working with budgets is preferred. RAN is seeking candidates with at least two years professional experience.
RAN values diversity, educates staff on issues including privilege and oppression, and integrates these values into all of our work. We are seeking candidates who have a commitment to engage in this process and work with us to create a just, inclusive and sustainable work environment and world. RAN provides all people with equal employment and volunteer opportunities.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Foundations Coordinator